Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Graveyard of Hurtful Words

     It is too easy to forget things, and I thought I would start writing to you and that I would try to post a photograph every day to show you what my life here is like. I will try my best.  It will be my way of someday being able to tell you that you were always in my thoughts, even though I was half a world away and only got to see you a few weeks in a year.
     As a teacher, I get to do a lot of neat things. Yesterday I saw a Year 8 boy who spoke no English (only French) who was in tears because he couldn't find his classroom. I took him aside and asked him to throw cold water on his face and then took him where he needed to be.  He was grateful and I felt like a hero.  I get to do heroic things every day; that is the best part of my job.  I get hugs every day from the kids.  I had lunch today with the kindergartners and I had a French boy on my right side and a Norwegian boy on my left, and I was carrying on a conversation in two languages.  My job rules.
     This is a picture of my Year 4 class. Today we did something that I cooked up on the spur of the moment. Last year the boys in this class were fighting a lot, so one of the first things I did (today was the second day of school) was to ask them to write down all of the things that had been said to them that hurt their feelings. Then I took them to the schoolyard, asked them to crumple their sheets of paper and throw them into a hole. Then we replaced the dirt and they jumped on the mound to make sure the earth was packed down! One of the kids came up with a great name to call it: "The Graveyard of Hurtful Words." (In the picture you can see some of the crumpled-up sheets.)  We all promised to try our best never to use them.
     That is it for now; love to you and your moms.